Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yet Another Commercial Portraying Dads As Morons!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another Commercial Portraying Dads As Morons!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainSpaulding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet Another Commercial Portraying Dads As Morons!
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:07am
Geez....just when I thought the whole "dumb daddy" advertising trend was starting to wane, I saw this pathetic excuse for a commercial.  It's quite obvious that whatever dipsh*t wrote this piece of crap has a great disdain for men.  BTW.....are they trying to imply that if the mother was the one attempting to assemble the jungle gym that she would have that thing put together effortlessly in mere minutes???  And WTF do they mean dads don't always "hold precision in high regard"?  When I was growing up, just about every single one of my friends' fathers had a workbench and every tool & measurement device known to man in their garage.  F--- you, SPDR!!

Sponsored Links

Matt View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:29am
Agree 100%.  My father is a man for whom I have the utmost respect, and even well into my college years I still call him for general life advice.

And yes, he does have a workbench and every tool and measurement device known to man...except it's in his basement, not his garage. :P

Also, this commercial doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.  The dad can't put a simple jungle gym together, so buy SPDR investments?  I don't see the connection?
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:27am
The connection is, if he's too dumb to put a jungle jim together, he's just the sucker client SPDR is looking for.... LOL
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:46am
Maybe as men we are that dumb, because it seems to me that it's men who keep making these commercials.
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:46am
The world would be a better place if he were to make that structure into a gallows and hang himself.
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Banderboy Banderboy wrote:

The world would be a better place if he were to make that structure into a gallows and hang himself.
LOLNot sure he wouldn't build it upside-down.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
calzonesays View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calzonesays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:31am
Didn't you get the memo? 

All white males are idiots who would be completely lost without their all-knowing wives to provide guidance for them.........

.........Well that's what all advertisers have been shoving down our throats for the past 5 years.
Bennett View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 3:40pm
F**k you SPDR! This is a totally offensive commercial. Once again, the father is portrayed as a bumbling idiot. Well unlike what the SPDR ad execs think, the majority of fathers do hold precision in high regard, whether they're building something or choosing an investment.

Btw, I am an active investor and I assure you that SPDR will never be a service I use.
Revolennon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolennon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Banderboy Banderboy wrote:

Thank you for the funniest thing I've read today!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:11pm
Anyone notice the kids ashamed of daddy - wearing the box over their heads.Confused
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 12:27am
I have to admit, something someone posted on another thread that made me want to look up the sticker on a vending machine that shows a stick figure being crushed by the vending machine tipping over.
This sticker was on a web site that was talking about how children were killed by various things such as a little girl being killed by the tipping of a vending machine.

One of the other items was how an infant was killed because the father incorrectly assembled the crib.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:14am
I am a wonderful husband and father (no one else can vote), but I've never been handy. 

I skillfully assembled the crib for my first born in the living room.  I carried it up to the nursery, and it did not fit through the door.  I then un-assembled it, and re-assembled it in the nursery. 

Just one example of my stellar diy ability.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I am a wonderful husband and father (no one else can vote), but I've never been handy. 

I skillfully assembled the crib for my first born in the living room.  I carried it up to the nursery, and it did not fit through the door.  I then un-assembled it, and re-assembled it in the nursery. 

Shortly after I assembled the desk that I'm sitting at at this very moment, I found one of those lock-bolt things sitting on my floor.  That was 6 years ago.  I've been waiting for the desk to collapse ever since.  So far, so good.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:51am

Trust me, I'm not a believer that all men are dopes at that stuff.  I service large office copiers and printers.  I take apart complex assemblies then remember how to reassemble them without step by step instructions.  So the idea that all men are idiots at doing that stuff is just stupid.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:21pm

Hey, that's better than having a handful of "extra"nuts & bolts. As they say: "measure twice, cut  assemble once".
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 9:13pm
I just saw this pathetic POS a few minutes ago, so stupid.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Carly Corday View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Corday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
This isn't as bad as most. They might just be trying to show how much a daddy loves his family, so much that he tackles what most people would refuse to touch.

I get your hatred of "stupid man" commercials, though. Every time another one is born, I seeth with helpless outrage. How dare they? Why do they keep doing it? You KNOW they know how much so many of us hate it! Worst of all, young women are believing that sh*te, and demanding "I know I'm a bozo, duhr!" inferiority from their boyfriends and husbands. I have seen it. They ALL believe it, and they love it. It imbues them with unearned superiority, the easiest, bestest kind! (They're also taught that it's OK to hit men, even recommended that you do, but blame for that goes to the movies and TV shows. And it's good to hit each other, too. In an ugly satin sheath dress, matching high heels, and several inches of dripping makeup.)

The trophy goes to Rent A Center. That one doesn't even try to convey anything except, "Here's another man who can't breathe in and out without help from his patient, normal intelligence female spouse, but at least he (Duhr!!) knows it! He must be awesome in bed. Her too.
"Turn up the crazy and tear off the knob!"
—Stephen Colbert to Fox News whack-job Glenn Beck (Indian name "Paints with Poop")
Carly Corday View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Corday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 4:03pm
It IS men making these commercials, or I'll eat my last-year's tennis shoes. Also, come on now, the kids aren't "ashamed of daddy," it's showing them having more fun with the boxes it came in than the toy itself, as kids are famous for doing, especially when the toy takes time to assemble. That was just reality, a thing so rarely seen in commercials that you didn't realize what it was.
"Turn up the crazy and tear off the knob!"
—Stephen Colbert to Fox News whack-job Glenn Beck (Indian name "Paints with Poop")
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic