Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Miserable St. Jude Children's Hospital Commercial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miserable St. Jude Children's Hospital Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

And congrats on being probably the first person ever at CIH to use the word "lugubrious".  Clap

The French luge team is from Brious Question  You learn something new every day....  LOL

And here I was thinking it had something to do with lugies and goobers.

Sponsored Links

belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:30pm
Jimbo - 

Just as I'm sure you would assume that not all of my conceptions of liberals I've amassed over the years are fair caricatures of the liberal mentality, I'll take the exact same issue with your assessment of conservative ideals.  I never said ALL people receiving assistance are free-loaders, and it would be completely ridiculous to believe that.  I just believe there are a staggering number of people collecting public assistance who don't need it and are working the system.  And as for conservatives being against charity, I'm conservative and we give somewhere in the neighborhood of 13% of our income every month to charities.  Every month, without exception.  We are a four person household living on about $40,000/year, so we're not well off at all.  Every conservative I know personally is the same way.  That IS supposed to be what conservatives stand for, if they don't follow through on that they're a hypocrite.  I'm sure there are plenty of hypocritical conservatives just like there are plenty of hypocritical liberals.  We're a race of flawed human beings.

Have a great day. Smile
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:35pm
(wringing my hands and swaying) "Can't we all just get along?" LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

LOL
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

It's a fine word, it could easily be the word of the day!

Yes, but can you use it in a sentence please?Wink

adjective
mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected,exaggerated, or unrelieved manner.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by belc0011 belc0011 wrote:

Jimbo - 

Just as I'm sure you would assume that not all of my conceptions of liberals I've amassed over the years are fair caricatures of the liberal mentality, I'll take the exact same issue with your assessment of conservative ideals.  I never said ALL people receiving assistance are free-loaders, and it would be completely ridiculous to believe that.  

A.) I just believe there are a staggering number of people collecting public assistance who don't need it and are working the system.  

B.) And as for conservatives being against charity,

I'm conservative and we give somewhere in the neighborhood of 13% of our income every month to charities.  Every month, without exception.  We are a four person household living on about $40,000/year, so we're not well off at all.  Every conservative I know personally is the same way.  That IS supposed to be what conservatives stand for, if they don't follow through on that they're a hypocrite.  I'm sure there are plenty of hypocritical conservatives just like there are plenty of hypocritical liberals.  We're a race of flawed human beings.

Have a great day. Smile

A.) Define "staggering". What percentage of what total number of recipients does your info source claim are cheating taxpayer funded public assistance programs?

B.) I never claimed conservatives were against charity. I just pointed out the flaws of being for them as a substitute for government funded programs. Charities that rely on donations are subject to the ups & downs of the economy for their donations & in hard times, are not able to do as much. And they can cease to exist as well as be subject to fraud by the people who run them.

The governemt on the other hand, is always there & always has the necessary resources available.

That's all I said.

Have a nice day. Smile

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I hope you aren't being lugubrious.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

It's a fine word, it could easily be the word of the day!

Yes, but can you use it in a sentence please?Wink

adjective
mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected,exaggerated, or unrelieved manner.
The specter haunted the halls of the castle in a lugubrious fashion.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 11:04pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 11:14pm

BM...that is just a perfect example of 'Maslow's in Action' - in no certain order...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 12:41am
Alright now... politics aside and getting back to the commercial itself.  Yes, I feel St. Jude is a worthy and important charity, however we're discussing this commercial, and the reason I came on here just now is because I saw it for about the 6th time in 2 hours just now.  It is obnoxious.  The sad...well I'm not going to call it singing it's more like female howling makes this long (two minutes I think?) commercial feel like it goes on for about half an hour.  The images don't particularly make my viewing of the Simpsons and How I Met Your Mother episodes better, but I guess I get the guilt-trip vibe it's going for, and this is the harsh reality of sick kids.  But the howl-singing...good GOD make it stop!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 12:49am
The commercials probably SHOULD come on more often for those feeding on 'Bubblegum for the Brain' shows as you mentioned...not that possibly you earned the 'down-time', but too many of our spermmistakes are byproducts of that sort of idiocy and really need to garnish some meaning for their miserable existence...(no - I'm NOT directing comment toward you).
I thought I was done until I read that this commercial was showing during adult cartoon time - well, good for the broadcasters!
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
schrutebuck View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 4:23am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The commercials probably SHOULD come on more often for those feeding on 'Bubblegum for the Brain' shows as you mentioned...not that possibly you earned the 'down-time', but too many of our spermmistakes are byproducts of that sort of idiocy and really need to garnish some meaning for their miserable existence...(no - I'm NOT directing comment toward you).
I thought I was done until I read that this commercial was showing during adult cartoon time - well, good for the broadcasters!

Almost not even worth dignifying with a response... 

I actually said the commercial airs during the late-night sitcoms on Hallmark Channel like Cheers--not during adult cartoons--but I guess you were referring to such shows as being the metaphorical equivalent of adult cartoons. (Nonetheless, even if you were indeed mistakenly referring to the mature-audience cartoons such as those featured in the Adult Swim lineup, the objection I'm taking here still applies.)

You indicate that "too many" viewers of these shows are moronic and "really need to garnish some meaning for their miserable existence." I'm assuming you meant to say "garner," but regardless, I resent the implication and consider it to be awfully presumptuous and ignorant.

To give you some perspective, I'm certainly not going to label you as intelligent simply because you apparently only watch "substantive" programs. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 5:02am
Originally posted by schrutebuck schrutebuck wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Almost not even worth dignifying with a response... 

I actually said the commercial airs during the late-night sitcoms on Hallmark Channel like Cheers--not during adult cartoons--but I guess you were referring to such shows as being the metaphorical equivalent of adult cartoons. (Nonetheless, even if you were indeed mistakenly referring to the mature-audience cartoons such as those featured in the Adult Swim lineup, the objection I'm taking here still applies.)

You indicate that "too many" viewers of these shows are moronic and "really need to garnish some meaning for their miserable existence." I'm assuming you meant to say "garner," but regardless, I resent the implication and consider it to be awfully presumptuous and ignorant.

To give you some perspective, I'm certainly not going to label you as intelligent simply because you apparently only watch "substantive" programs. 
Sorry you appear insulted.
Want to take it further? We have the Flame Room - we can go play there.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 5:52am
Nope, I'm all done sir. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 3:34pm

Not even for ten Schrute Bucks?

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

LOL The 'Master Baiter' is back at it again, I see....
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

LOL.

But wait: is that a sitcom reference? You actually watch such inane drivel? You "must" be of below-average intelligence. Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 2:45am
We watchers of "The Office" get a pass. Big smile

C'mon, man!
jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 5:35am

AWWW so did you boys kiss and make up???? LOL

PA WOLF  and JIMBO are big teddy bears...you can never stay mad at them!
Love you too Shrutebuck!!!!Hug I love everyone here...now can we all give each other a virtual hug and not the virtual middle finger?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 7:52am
I certainly have no intention of name-calling or bird-flipping anyone Smile I simply disagreed with the suggestion that people who watch sitcoms are genetically inferior. Everyone here seems like a nice person--everyone--and my hope is to keep the discussion at a civil level (and to never have to set foot in the flame room!). 

jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by schrutebuck schrutebuck wrote:

I certainly have no intention of name-calling or bird-flipping anyone Smile I simply disagreed with the suggestion that people who watch sitcoms are genetically inferior. Everyone here seems like a nice person--everyone--and my hope is to keep the discussion at a civil level (and to never have to set foot in the flame room!). 

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile I agree! You're cool!
Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by belc0011 belc0011 wrote:

You really think a cat and a human being are on the same level?

Yes. 

Actually, cats are better than human beings.  That's why I chose all my life to adopt homeless cats instead of giving birth to Revolting Squirming Human Maggot Seven Billion and One.

Recently I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  No health insurance.  No welfare.  No SSI.  I paid out of my own pocket to have my breasts cut off, without reconstruction (I can't afford it).  There are NO charities for women like me.  Sure, somebody will lick a foil Yoplait lid in the fond hope that they are helping those of us with breast cancer.  Do I see a penny from the Susan G. Komen Pink Ribbon Hypocrites?  Nope.  But show me a cute little blonde child who has leukemia and, by God, everyone will pitch in to cure her.

I look forward to dying, because I will not witness the end of the world due to human overpopulation and climate change.  Hope that gives everybody who whined about my post a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling inside! Thumbs Up
Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 5:44am
I have received some very nice PMs since December.  I appreciate the support from these correspondents.  I am dying, and I have asked my husband and family not to financially support my medical treatments because they cannot afford to. 

Perhaps that news will satisfy some of you who hate me.  I don't care.  Once you have seen a photograph of your own breasts lying on a table, you will understand how I feel.  The surgeon who showed me that picture made me want to blow my brains out.  That image, that operation, and the aftermath--wearing tubes connected to plastic bags that collected my blood--are memories that are burned indelibly in my brain.
TooMuchTV View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooMuchTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:55am
Point 1:  Television's primary duty is ENTERTAINMENT. The St. Jude's commercials are most definitely NOT entertainment.  Ditto infomercials.

Point 2:  Though Margaret Sanger jumped on the eugenics bandwagon (and lots of otherwise respectable people did back then), her primary concern was bettering the lives and health of women.  My own great-grandmother had 14 children.  FOURTEEN.  And she died an exhausted, broken woman who had lost 3 children in infancy.  Childbirth was not as safe then as it is now.  Her whole point was have fewer children, have less poverty, have less maternal & infant death, have less women whose healthcare access was limited by economic necessity, and have less motherless children.  Surely those points win out over her belief in eugenics. 
----------
JaynieBeth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic