Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burger King Mascot--R.I.P.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burger King Mascot--R.I.P.
    Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:00pm

Dead   Have you all seen the stories circulating today about BK dumping the King?  I am not sorry to see him go.  He was creepy and as bad as Ronald McDonald and I never like a single commercial with him in it.  Wonder what the hell their next failure of a mascot/theme will be?

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:06pm
Looks like we finally won this one. 

We've been telling Burger King to dump the creepy king for years.

In a news article it said that the company changed ad agencies in July and a spokesman said that we won't be seeing the king for a while.  (We hope, in a very long while, hopefully, never.)

A bumbling cartoon king would be alright as a mascot though.

Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:54pm
The last good Burger King ad I can remember was around 1980/81, when they interviewed a family named 'The McDonalds', who wore Groucho Marx fake nose and glasses while they admitted that they liked Whopper better than Big Macs.
Since then, BK ads have been one crapfest('Where's Herb?') after another(Dan Cortese, 'I LOVE This Place!')
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:56pm
I understand their new target is soccer moms who want something healthy for their kids.  So, I imagine their commercials are going to be along the lines of that canned spaghetti that contains "a whole serving of vegetables" blah blah blah.  You know---slim, attractive mother, active and healthy kids, outdoor activities, etc.

Makes me wanna barf.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:00pm
Yeah, that serving of vegetables will be the ketchupLOL
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:21pm
I'm gonna miss the creepy bastard. But I'm certain a lot of folks will be happy to see him go.  I can't imagine the new "Healthy" Burger King ads will be any better than the King though. Less creepy maybe but I can see the annoyance factor go up quite a bit.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 11:21pm
About f*&(%ing time.

I hope the quality of Burger King commercial goes UP from now on.

Big smile
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 12:53am
OuchToo bad...the end is coming to a line of commercials so disturbing that they were actually good.
Maybe on a bad day with a bad hangover.
This, of course was to be expected when the BK organization was sold a while back and the new crew started out with the terrible penneywhistle morning-marching neighborhood commercials. It only took the first to wish for 'King' back, sort of...but NOT like this (think he got arrested - or maybe met his first "wife" this way...):

...or, maybe his first and only day on a previous job:

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 1:13am

Healthy BK, interesting. They're correct about wanting to get a share of that market segment, but it'll be interesting what they come up with. "The Whopper Salad!" Yikes.

Maybe each franchise can be run by local farmers instead?? One can dream........
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:27am
The Burger King got caught trying to fondle Wendy.  He'll be back in 8 to 10 years.... LOL

And don't forget, BK still has that whining "burger family".  We'll probably get a lot more ads of them....
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 2:36pm
I don't know. I haven't seen any of those Burger family ads in awhile. They may have retired those too.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
Too bad for the King. He can hang out now with the McDonalds Grimace and the Ham burglar. I disagree with Ronald being creepy, he was quite popular with the women.
All he had to say was, "would you like fries with that?" and.....

ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 2:31am
TK says good riddance to bad rubbish.

But, per the article I read: "We won't be seeing The King for a while," a Burger King spokesman said.

I suspect he'll be back. Unhappy
Hundreds of threads killed.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Looks like we finally won this one. 

We've been telling Burger King to dump the creepy king for years.

In a news article it said that the company changed ad agencies in July and a spokesman said that we won't be seeing the king for a while.  (We hope, in a very long while, hopefully, never.)

A bumbling cartoon king would be alright as a mascot though.

Well, in the late '60s/early '70s, they had this guy:

followed by this one:

I imagine if they tried that nowadays, though, certain groups would be bitching about "promoting fast food to children"...Disapprove

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 4:48pm
Two Words -

GOOD RIDDANCE!
Poiuyt Power!!!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

TK says good riddance to bad rubbish.

But, per the article I read: "We won't be seeing The King for a while," a Burger King spokesman said.

I suspect he'll be back. Unhappy

I can just see his 'comeback' happening in the form of a Super Bowl commercial.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 6:06pm
WinkI dunno about anyone else, but *I* read the 'business section', of 'The Daily Howl'...and lookie what I found...
BUSINESS : WORLD'S BIGGEST ROLLER COASTER
OPENS AT SIX FLAGS WALL STREET
Corporations Flush with Cash,
But Not Hiring

Come back in six months, says receptionist.
Apple Passes ExxonMobil as Most Valuable Company
After three hundred more fake Apple stores discovered.
Burger King Retires “The King”
Spokesperson cites recent upheavals in Egypt, Tunisia.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:03pm
I don't mind the idea of a Burger King "king" mascot.  In cartoon form, it's fine.  It's just this particular one with the mask that I find kinda loathsome.
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:27pm

Everyone knows the King was either a serial killer or a rapist. Either way if you wake up in bed with him as in that one ad you're probably seven shades of screwed. I'll bet a lot of people started sleeping with shotguns under their pillow after that one.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by robodog robodog wrote:

Everyone knows the King was either a serial killer or a rapist. Either way if you wake up in bed with him as in that one ad you're probably seven shades of screwed. I'll bet a lot of people started sleeping with shotguns under their pillow after that one.

Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 9:23pm
That's what I say too, good Riddance !

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic