Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Major Wow Factor!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major Wow Factor!
    Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 7:20am
Every freaking time this commercial comes on, this "guy's" extremely effeminate enunciation of those three words drives me absolutely nuts.  From what I understand, he's on "Project Runway," one of all the reality shows I avoid like the plague.  I would imagine this is his catchphrase on the so-called "show."  I have nothing against homosexuality, but I do have something against CONSTANTLY hearing the catchphrase of this "Major Flamboyancy Factor" during almost every commercial break.  Is Expedia's ad campaign attempting to annoy us into trying their product?  I seem to remember the last few commercials as being pretty damn annoying too.  Judge for yourself on this one. 

Gay, straight, bi, other, I really don't give a sh*t what anyone does in their personal lives.  Honestly, I think the world would be a better place if more people focused on worrying about themselves rather than what other people are doing.  BUT if your voice is THIS f*cking annoying, whether you are gay, straight, bi, or otherwise, stay on your stupid "reality" shows and stay the f*ck off of commercials. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Sponsored Links

Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 8:16am
I think it's time for that tiresome, affected, nasally, 'rising inflection?', so-called  'gay accent' to die.
We've moved past other stereoypical forms of heavily accented English that used to be common in commercials(nobody uses the 'Italian' with-a da letter-a 'A' at-a de end-a of-a every-a word-a' any more, or the formerly hilarious  'Mel Blanc Mexican dialect', or 'Asian confusion of 'R' and 'L')...so can we have gay men in ads not all sound like JM J Bullock, Paul Lynde, or any man who's ever been on the E! channel? 'Thtop talking like thiiiiiiiith' and let's move on! Just for a change, let's hear someone who sounds like James Earl Jones!Smile
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:41am
^^^Amen.  I don't know a single gay person that speaks in this manner.  
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:56am
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:33am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

^^^Amen.  I don't know a single gay person that speaks in this manner.  
ConfusedSeriously, sure - plenty of folk do. 
Tim Gunn isn't a 'one-off'; in the 'big  business' world, I run into people who share his accent all the time. Makes no difference to me; just more brilliant minds...heck, I even deal with women in power!
What do ya think THAT was like to start dealing with, say 30 years ago?
You really want to hear some yap? Try THEM! Just like one's own Wife, it just seems ya can't shut 'em up, can't impress them half the time, I tell ya! WinkBig smile

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 6:15am
I still say (as I said in the other thread) that it's not just Gunn's general manner, but that there's something about the way he delivers his dialogue in this commercial that sounds phony (in a "scripted" way - like he's reading a foreign language off of a prompter or something. I can't imagine Gunn speaks like this all the time. 

I do agree that the phrase "major wow factor" probably wouldn't sound normal coming out of ANYONE, lol. 
trishanurse View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishanurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:08am
Whatever.... he's so fun to make fun of, and he knows it, and game for it.  I think he's great.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yeah, we had two full pages of comments on this one, here:

I searched the forums for it, and nothing popped up.  I was pretty dang surprised considering how freaking annoying this commercial is.  Thanks for letting me know, Thor.  I will spew my venom on this POS commercial in that thread from here on out. Smile

- Mark Twain

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic