Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ExxonMobil defends fracking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ExxonMobil defends fracking
    Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:24am
This one just came on, where a geologist for Exxon talks very calmly, somewhat amused, about the subject of fracking. "We just drill a little bit and the whole thing is surrounded by metal," he says, practically chuckling.

He's a geologist who does this for a living, clearly a smart, clean-cut guy who's just doing his job. The way he talks about it, aw shucks, I bet he moved his family right on top of a fracking site. What's not to trust?? Embarrassed

I'll tell you what: Because he works for ExxonMobil!!! THEY PAY HIM!! Ouch Grrrrr!! The smug look on his face really pisses me off, like people's fears of fracking are SO silly Angry
Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:48am
"The word is:  'fracking'."

"Fracking.  Could you use that in a sentence, please?"

"This ExxonMobil ad was written by a fracking Battlestar Galactica fanboy."

LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:27am
ConfusedWell, o.k. MrT...lemme try an'hep ya a tad...
~~~
Maybe it might help to explain just what 'FRACKING' is - it is not a common practice across the earth.
FRACKING is drilling for natural gas - drilling nice, big ol'deep holes through the ground - through your water supply - to reach the shale bedrock, which you shatter all to hell. You then can capture enough *natural* gas to supply the U.S. of Imported Peeps for 20 years ("uhhh - what about AFTER that?"), while Pennsylvania and New York end up with contaminated water supplies (to start with). Doesn't SOUND so bad, but, with a bit of education, one could readily see this as the 'second coming of the Love Canal' (I believe, for the curious, you may find a thread on that subject).
Personally, we're vehemently against the practice.
Aaaand....
'Fracking' is a hot topic, here. There has been a huge and long-running fight to ensure hydralic fracking never starts up (it has been banned). We have an educated public; they will not let it happen (it would readily get violent) - but the oil companies don't seem to want to give up (and the public outcry only gets louder and more visible).
ANY commercial that supports 'Fracking' should be spit at and disdained; oil companies should SUPPORT their surrounding communities - not abuse them.
Or maybe we forgot about BP.
Fracking Ban<<<---Nope, nope, nope MrT, 'Fracking' is not a 'joking matter'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:45am
Go light your faucet water on fire & quit bitching.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:56am

Wink...and I was wondering why I've had a bit more gas as of late...

Unfortunately, that clip isn't a joke - there are a few communities they have found where they actually CAN light the tap water. Colorado has been through this a few times - Yutolia might know something about that.

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-05-10-critical-list-fracking-connected-to-flammable-tap-water-eco-frie

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 5:22am
Go look on YouTube.

There are several clips.

I first saw it on 60 Minutes.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 7:24am
I get really tired of seeing the commercials of energy companies on TV.  No one gives a sh*t, you lying, scheming, money-grubbing f*cks.  Shut the hell up.  There is no need for you to have commercials.  If anyone buys into your crap, they are dumb as the geological material you are so gently fracking. 

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:09pm
Seriously, it's beyond infuriating to see this smiling tool earning who knows how much money, to put on a happy face and sell his soul at the expense of thousands of innocent people. Angry

Oil companies own the world, there's no need to advertise except in a futile PR effort to win public support. Let's hope people don't buy it. Ah, but I'm sure they will. Cry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:40pm

As much as I have spewed in regard to 'fracking', I'll say this:

Natural Gas is a natural resource.

Natural resource availabilty = global positioning in regard to money and power.

Government, without doubt, will ultimately push it, once a SAFE way (whatever way THAT may be) has been found to mine the resource at minimal risk to the population. Had this been 50 years ago, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because it would already be happening (and we'd be sick, if not dead - THAT has already been proven). It still (ultimately) has to happen - we know that. We just wait for science to catch up with nature in an acceptable manner...).

In the meanwhile, if the gas companies can convince us that they are operating in a resonsible manner - if they can PROVE it, then they CAN be 'our friends' - and maybe help save the Government. But they gotta do it just right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic