Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Movie Remakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Movie Remakes
    Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 10:35pm
A 'new' Planet Of the Apes and  The Thing. I've seen a lot about the Apes redo, but caught just one ad for The Thing.
The '82 John Carpenter's "The Thing" is a great movie. Wonder how they'll muck it up by adding a woman in the new one. Not to mention, no one survived in the '82 version.

Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 2:55pm
The commercial for Planet of the Apes scares the living daylights out of me.

Monkeys and apes in general scare the crap out of me. I think it all started with those freaking flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 3:50pm

I think The Hathaways might've shaped my love of chimps.  The Hathaways was a sitcom way back when, and I'm probably the only person here who remembers it...which proves what an indelible mark it left on my life.

They should make a movie out of it.  I'm sure everyone's clamoring for it.
IronKnight View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 7:08pm
The Thing movie is actually a prequel and its called Prometheus now. I don't think it even is related to the Thing anymore.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think The Hathaways might've shaped my love of chimps.  The Hathaways was a sitcom way back when, and I'm probably the only person here who remembers it...which proves what an indelible mark it left on my life.

Alas, Peggy Cass and Jack Weston are dead....probably most of the apes as well. 
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:06pm
These scumbag director wannabe's in Hollywood better leave Carpenter's Prince of Darkness out of the remake trend .. I can only imagine all the different ways they could (and would) f**k that one up.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:15pm

Believe it or not, I think they've just remade "Straw Dogs".

Can only be an insult to the original.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Can only be an insult to the original.

Kinda like the case with The Omen.

That's just one of many more examples, too.  I heard they were gonna do a remake of Rosemary's Baby, but thankfully decided to scrap the project.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

...I heard they were gonna do a remake of Rosemary's Baby, but thankfully decided to scrap the project.
They could do 'Rosemary's Great GrandBaby' and maybe get a few fans.
Maybe they could get Sally Struthers to play Ruth Gordon's role.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 1:10am
Yeah, they'd better leave Big Trouble in Little China alone too. Don't you even think about it, Hollywood!!!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 1:18am
Actually The Thing prequel is the Thing again :) and is about the Norwegian camp finding said "Thing", which by the way, the Carpenter one was a remake in of itself. Prometheus is a prequel to Alien but now is more an expansion of the Alien universe regarding the "space jockey" creature in the "chair" that the Nostromo crew finds at the beginning of Alien.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 1:25am
Rise of the Planet of the Apes also is in a sense a prequel. Hell the Planet of the Apes franchise has no real integrity, it has been so watered down and bastardized over the years that even Tim Burton's mess was a noble little endeavor.
I am a little worried about the new Conan. I know that Ahnoldz Conan while awesome in its own right, was pretty far from Howard's original vision. After seeing Jason Momoa tearing out a man's throat in Game of Thrones, I think he may do well as our beloved Cimmerian warrior
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:17am
What will Hollywood remake next?..."Gone with the Wind"?!

Many remakes suck and yet...they keep remaking films!

For the TV to Film Movies, this should be the next feature..."Test Pattern"!...

The sound will be dubbed by George Lucas so you get that THX Sound, and Sally Struthers is that annoying beep itself...and it goes on like this for 2 hours!

My other option for this was to have the Test Pattern just yell "f**k" for 2 long hours and it'll sound like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccck"!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

My other option for this was to have the Test Pattern just yell "f**k" for 2 long hours and it'll sound like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccck"!

Quite frankly I'd be much more entertained by that than about 99.9999999999% of the sh*t directors come up with these days.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

While I'm now distraught over the deaths of these legendary actors and chimps, I'm glad to know that someone else here remembers this show.

Wikipedia references a critic having called it "possibly the worst series ever to air on network TV", and who remarked on its "total worthlessness".  I dunno.  Sounds like a recipe for success, considering "The Kardashians" and "Jersey Shore".

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

While I'm now distraught over the deaths of these legendary actors and chimps, I'm glad to know that someone else here remembers this show.

Wikipedia references a critic having called it "possibly the worst series ever to air on network TV", and who remarked on its "total worthlessness".  I dunno.  Sounds like a recipe for success, considering "The Kardashians" and "Jersey Shore".

I could watch "The Hathaways".  I can't be in the same room when those other two shows are on. 

My wife told me that some clothing company actually offered a "star" of the "Jersey Shore" show money to quit wearing their clothes.  How's that for bad representation!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:57pm
I heard about that, Hoot.  It was Abercrombie & Fitch.  Not sure who exactly their market is, but I think their ads are known to feature lots of nearly-naked teens writhing around with each other.  So, I'm not buying that the clothing line has something against the Jersey Shorers.  Maybe it's a publicity stunt. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Actually The Thing prequel is the Thing again :) and is about the Norwegian camp finding said "Thing", which by the way, the Carpenter one was a remake in of itself.  
Judging from the trailer, I believe you're right. A few things like the dog scene and use of flamethrowers were used in Carpenter's version.
Too bad they had to use a woman in the lead role. I still would like to see it.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:18pm
I'm going to school now to work on my Bachelors Degree in Arts and I'm doing a Research Paper on Movie Remakes and how it's destroying originality in Hollywood.

Any good webpages and articles about film remakes and the destruction of Hollywood?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

I'm going to school now to work on my Bachelors Degree in Arts and I'm doing a Research Paper on Movie Remakes and how it's destroying originality in Hollywood.

Any good webpages and articles about film remakes and the destruction of Hollywood?

Without thoroughly reading (I'm going to after posting), this article here looks like it may offer some good insight for your paper as to why remakes in the horror genre are loathed by fans of the originals:

http://thedamngoodmovieclub.com/movie-news/why-most-horror-movie-remakes-suck/

orion70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

The commercial for Planet of the Apes scares the living daylights out of me.

Monkeys and apes in general scare the crap out of me. I think it all started with those freaking flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.

OMG, I thought I was the only one.  Especially the screaming ones.  *shudder* And the small ones that everyone else seems to think are oh-so-cute creep me out because there's something too "human" about them. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:07am
WinkMy brother, the MensaWolf, saw the new Planet of the Apes and said it was REALLY, REALLY GOOD - worth every penny and then some. This comes from a Wolf I VERY much listen to when it comes to movies.
Now...the fact they are making 'The Thing' for - what? The 3rd or 4th time?! I just can't see it...doesn't seem right. 
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:40pm
They cannot be serious:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068242/

Dead

I guess they're running out of horror classics to f**k up remake, so now it's on to a new genre.  I'm half expecting next up on the horizon to be  Flashdance or The Sound of Music.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:38pm
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Dead....unbelievable!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic