Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Kindle--Kindle 3(?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Kindle--Kindle 3(?)
    Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm

There is also a newer one where the woman has this huge purse and her lines make her sound like an idiot!

Hate these commercials; hate this guy! 

Why do they think viewers will respond to these smugass, arrogant turds? He sounds so condescending and rude like you aren't as good, or smart, as he is and that talking down to her with the smile like he is talking to a child.  Well, he still has to go to B&N or Starbucks if he wants to look cool and drink lattes and talk too loud on his sell phone so as to annoy other people.

And besides that, wtf is up with people's hair in commercials nowadays?  He looks like he has a mole on his head; though not as bad as the dandruff/monkey guy who looks like he has another monkey on his head.

And I still like to hold books, and read books, and I'm a librarian!!!!!!!! 

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:00pm
That woman's eyes look like they're about to pop out of her head. It's seriously creeping me out! 
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:03am
Yet another electronic gadget. Sleepy Hasn't that lady heard of bookmarkers, instead of folding pages.
What's Kindle dude gonna do when his batteries run low and quit between chapters.
Don't need it - don't want it.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:23am
The biggest problem with the Kindle for me is that the price of Kindle books are insane. You'd think there would be some sort of substantial discount not having to print, bind, and ship a physical book. NOPE. I was looking at some books on Amazon today, and the Kindle downloads are like 2 dollars cheaper then a brand new book. The used books are always way cheaper then the download! I'm sorry but if that makes me a smug ass hole because I refuse to adopt this useless, expensive technology then so be it. They make book readers look like they're complete tards for not getting a Kindle, like anyone who reads real books is soooooo childish.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:11am

I have no use for these things. I prefer real books. When that thing breaks or stops working your entire library is lost. Not so with real books. If taken care of real books can last for years.

Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.
Kreinas View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:46am
I absolutely can not stand these ridiculous commercials. I received a Kindle as a christmas gift, and absolutely love it! Although it doesn't have that same feeling as crisp pages of actual paper, the multitude of free literature (classics like shakespeare, call of the wild, etc...) are what really got me. There's also a variety of cheap books, which I have found to be exceptionally good reads, and around 2$ each! (I read science fiction novels mostly).

Good Product
Terrible Marketing
Check out my Blog. It's pretty great if I do say so myself!

Kreinas.blogspot.com
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:12pm
Just wanted to clarify my original posting: I don't necessarily dislike Kindle, or any of the other e-readers, I just think Kindle's commercials are very arrogant and condescending in there approach to get people to buy them.  I don't think people who buy them are any smarter or technologically savy than those who don'tGeek
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by robodog robodog wrote:

I have no use for these things. I prefer real books. When that thing breaks or stops working your entire library is lost. Not so with real books. If taken care of real books can last for years.

ClapClapClapClap I totally agree with you. Call me a purist, but I prefer to have an actual book in my hands to read, not some miniature computerized slate. I never have to worry about battery life with a book and I can take it anywhere without fear of it being stolen or getting broken.

This is one gadget that Mooch will NEVER own.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:04pm

Don't know about Kindle, but the your Nook books are stored permanently on the BW.com server for access anytime for you device or any future device.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

ClapClapClapClap I totally agree with you. Call me a purist, but I prefer to have an actual book in my hands to read, not some miniature computerized slate. I never have to worry about battery life with a book and I can take it anywhere without fear of it being stolen or getting broken.

This is one gadget that Mooch will NEVER own.
ConfusedEven though I love books (I chew on them, for the most part), I have to think one must 'draw a line' somewhere - so I *like* the Kindle (and other 'readers'), only because MissyDWolf is a voracious reader and book collector - we could probably start a small public library with all we have stacked and stored...we donate to book drives, but that just gives MissyD a reason to come back with twice what she donated.
I never donate any of my children's books, because they're all kinda strange, doncha know...
Big Goof and Little Goof/Three Short Stories<<<---PaWolf's favorite book.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Don't know about Kindle, but the your Nook books are stored permanently on the BW.com server for access anytime for you device or any future device.

Are you  having to pay either a data or internet plan to read these books on a Kindle or Nook?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:26am
I use either my home wi-fi or Nook's 3G. There are no extra charges.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:36am
He reminds me of the Mac guy in the iPod vs. Mac commercials, but not quite AS pretentious.

I'm just glad that there's actually a commercial willing to make the man superior.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Kreinas View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 6:17am
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

He reminds me of the Mac guy in the iPod vs. Mac commercials, but not quite AS pretentious.

I'm just glad that there's actually a commercial willing to make the man superior.

PC vs mac? Ipod and mac are both apple products :3.

And yes, books you buy on kindle are stored in Amazon's database. You can log onto someone else's kindle with your amazon account and share the book with them (you can redownload it onto their kindle...kinda like burning a DvD for a friend?)

And yes, nothing beats the feel of a nice book in your hands. However, this summer I stayed with my grandparents. I can't bring 40 books with me, that's just nonsense. Instead, I brought my kindle. Much more convenient.

The look of a kindle resembles the paging of a book VERY closely (atleast, new books printed on normal paper....not the yellowed paper you see in many good reads.)

The Kindle's 3g is free. Comes with the service and works anywhere without the need for a hotspot (similar to an Iphone). You can browse basic text pages (like this forum!) and also edit text with its full keyboard.

The nicest function on the kindle is the ability to make categories. It's like you're own personalized library sorting. My listing currently are;
Fiction
----Science fiction
----Murder Mystery
----School literature
Shakespeare

The final feature I like is the "progress bar" for each book. You can see in a quick glance how far you are in the book.

The only drawback is coming up with a mathematical formula for page numbers. The kindle uses "locations" (reference points that I am uncertain of origin). When I use it for essays, the locations produce a formula for me to figure out the page number. (in my last book, the formula was
Page=(location / 9) -63. It was within 1-2 page accuracy.

Again, big fan of REAL books. I still go to Barnes & Noble to browse their selection.

Edit---

Biggest drawback is the delicacy! You can drop a book. If you drop the kindle at the right angle, a 1 foot drop will scramble the screen permanently. Happened to me a week ago. Luckily, amazon includes a year warranty and shipped me a new one within 3 days.

Check out my Blog. It's pretty great if I do say so myself!

Kreinas.blogspot.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Kreinas Kreinas wrote:

The only drawback is coming up with a mathematical formula for page numbers. The kindle uses "locations" (reference points that I am uncertain of origin). When I use it for essays, the locations produce a formula for me to figure out the page number. (in my last book, the formula was
Page=(location / 9) -63. It was within 1-2 page accuracy.

That's one of the things that annoys me about opening up pdf files.  The original document page is different than the file page.

tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Kreinas Kreinas wrote:

Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

PC vs mac? Ipod and mac are both apple products :3.

Oops! Definitely PC vs Mac.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:15am
I just want to slap that woman for being so stupid. Her life must be seriously lacking something if she gets pleasure from folding down pages in a book. Ever heard of bookmarks?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Yet another electronic gadget. Sleepy Hasn't that lady heard of bookmarkers, instead of folding pages.
What's Kindle dude gonna do when his batteries run low and quit between chapters.
Don't need it - don't want it.

I was a bit curious about the Kindle. A lot of people have them on the train.

Apparently the battery lasts for like a month.  It doesn't really do any heavy processing really. 
It just displays text.

Cell phones tend to die because when you go into a low or non signal area, the phone keeps searching for the network constantly, which really drains the battery.
A lot of times if I know I'm going to be in an area for a long time where I know I don't have a signal, I shut the radio off.
It makes a huge difference in how long the battery lasts in the phone.

I suppose with a battery that lasts a month, you could forget to charge it though.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:05pm
I used to do service work back in the late '90s at a company called E-Ink in Cambridge Massachusetts.
They were working on developing a computer graphic display that would be just like reading stuff on paper.

I guess they accomplished their goal.
trishanurse View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishanurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:52pm
umm, library,  folks.. It's FREE, and you can look at their catalogue, reserve it, pick it up.
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 8:15pm
they should just make books in PDF format 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic