Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiber One "Number One"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiber One "Number One"
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:10pm
I've seen this constantly on ads that play before videos on the internet, so i don't know if it's on the TV as well, but I just had to post about it. It's another example of the "kids refuse to eat healthy things" trend we often see. Parents are eating a new Fiber One cereal and exclaim, "This is just like 'one of Jack's cereals'!" and then the mom looks upset and says "I forgot Jack's cereal..." 

Just then, we hear the son ask what's for breakfast. The parents look positively panicked. It's like Jack is that son from that Twilight Zone episode where his imagination shaped reality or something. Of course, since it would be a travesty for young Jack to know his mother completely forgot about his dietary needs of processed sugar, the father quickly springs into action, covers the 'Fi' part on the box of cereal and says "Here, try the..../Number/ One", which makes absolutely no sense. Even a kid would know that no cereal would just be named "Number One." It makes no sense. Why couldn't they just show him the box and say it tastes good? Kids don't know what fiber is or that it's "healthy".

So, of course, the kid eats a single honey cluster and says it's pretty good. The parents look relieved that their son will not murder them in their sleep and the standard voice-over talks about the nutrition of the cereal.

Not only is the whole premise just ridiculously unlikely, they're parents. He's the kid. If all they have is Fiber One, it's their job to make him eat it. If he doesn't, then he will be hungry until lunch. Eventually, he'll learn to eat what he's given until he can buy is own food. One time, my mom bought regular corn flakes instead of Frosted Flakes by mistake. I had to eat them because it's all we had at the time. Did I like it? No, but it wasn't up to me.

Also, if anyone else has seen it, is it just me or does that kid look like one of Macaulay Culkin's brothers?
Sponsored Links

jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:20pm
Major hate for this one too! "Jack's cereal"?? EXCUSE me? The kid isn't 2 years old..he's not diabetic or ill. In those instances you can have "cereal for Jack". Eat what we have or starve, that was the rule in our house too. They potray parents  as pansies who are afraid of their kids! GRRRRRR!!
Yeah the kid does look rather "Culkinesh"Tongue
Duffin View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:24pm
It's a dangerous trend in our society as a whole, in my opinion. This notion that parents simply can't say no to their kids is incredible to me and it's becoming a problem when people try to ban Happy Meal toys because parents simply can't tell their kids "No, we're not going to McDonald's today."

More and more each day, I become in favor of legally requiring expectant parents to take and pass a class on parenting or they don't get their kids. 
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:24pm
I don't understand this whole prospect that cereals which aren't loaded with sugar and artificial colors are disgusting. I also don't understand the idea that, if it doesn't have 1000% more sugar than anyone needs and artificial colors and a zany cartoon character on the box, kids will hate it. When I was a kid, I ate the cereal that was in the damn cupboard. Don't have a cartoon character on the box? No artificial colors? No diabetes-inducing amounts of sugar? Too bad. Eat it anyway.

Now I understand how they're getting at the popular theorem which seems to have no foundation in reality that kids instantly despise anything that's remotely good for them. The way television works, you would think that all kids hate broccoli and spinach and nutritious cereals. In reality, most kids who aren't picky will eat whatever they get for breakfast. The kids who are picky, after given the option of eat this or don't eat, will eventually like what they're given.

This whole thought-process of picky ass eaters, both children and adult, is ridiculous. Ever see the commercials where this mom is throwing away meat loaf and the kids go 'YUCK' or something? There are starving people allover the entire world who would be so very thankful for that..
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

This whole thought-process of picky ass eaters, both children and adult, is ridiculous. Ever see the commercials where this mom is throwing away meat loaf and the kids go 'YUCK' or something? There are starving people allover the entire world who would be so very thankful for that..

I think if the parents are real picky, they'll allow their kids to be real picky.  I know foodies who cater to each of their kids' personal tastes.  And if the food is not up to their standards, they send it back to the kitchen with instructions (as in "There's too much cheese on these noodles, Mom---please make it with less cheese").

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:51pm
I'm sure glad this thread was started...the parents should indeed be worried about getting turned into chopped liver in their sleep - they are far too cutesy and trying to ensure their spermmistake approves of the food he never worked a moment to earn. Any real kid that age would have been whipped into submission long before - any real Mom & Dad would have readily said 'eat or starve - your choice'.
Yes...that kid SHOULD be left 'Home Alone'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:10pm
Different situation, but same advertiser using the same "rotten kids / nutritious can't taste good" gimmick:

And of course they had to be sure to show the mom in the last shot either oblivious to or allowing her little brat daughter to mouth off to the store employee.
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 1:44am
Wait- I thought the whole advertizing campaign of Fiber One was that it was healthy cereal that tasted so good you forgot it was healthy? If it tastes good, why exactly would the kid not eat it, no matter what it's called!
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Dr. John Dorian Dr. John Dorian wrote:

Wait- I thought the whole advertizing campaign of Fiber One was that it was healthy cereal that tasted so good you forgot it was healthy? If it tastes good, why exactly would the kid not eat it, no matter what it's called!

For the same reason that Chef Boyardee Parent's won't tell their kids that there is a full serving of vegetables. Because kids are spoiled snot nosed brats who will not eat something just because it's healthy for them, even if it tastes good.
CNick View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:25am
And we're supposed to assume that this kid has never in his life seen nor heard of Fiber One before. 
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:56am
I'm confused. Shouldn't be Fiber One be called Number Two? 
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:40am
It's an annoying commercial. But I doubt that having someone make me eat scrambled eggs will eventually make me like them. They smell nasty. Same with beets.
I hate the idea of being a short order cook for a ki,d but at the same time, I hated being forced to eat stuff like grits that tasted nasty and had a gross texture and no matter how much folks were trying to force me to eat them, I just didn't want to.
I say, make the kid make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if they don't like the food.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
tarheelmed02 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelmed02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

I'm confused. Shouldn't be Fiber One be called Number Two? 
Bahaha, it's funny cuz it's true...
Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 5:08am
... kids hate fiber now? Do they even know what the hell that is?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Agent_Sometime Agent_Sometime wrote:

... kids hate fiber now? Do they even know what the hell that is?

It used to be called "roughage".  My mother said we needed it.  It wasn't something I automatically disliked.  If it tasted good, I didn't care that it might've been good for me.

SeanyGenovese View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyGenovese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:28am
I like how that girl oh so conveniently names off all the different varieties of Fiber One before reaching the one her mom likes and spouts a big word that little kids may or may not know while being a total brat! How cuuuuuuuute... cue the Indian guy to come and lay the informational smackdown as usual. Is everyone in the town that store is located in fiber crazy!?
Conforming To Abnormality
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 1:04am

The kid in the commercial asks "whats for breakfast?"....which is a normal question for someone his age..he looks a bit too young to be cooking...so why doesn't mom say "eggs and bacon" or "pancakes" and cook the kid something to eat? Or the dad?

Do people not make real breakfast for their kids anymore? Not that theres anything wrong with a bowl of cereal, so I agree that the parents should have been like "Here, have some Fiber One". Kid don't like it, kid would be hungry.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

The kid in the commercial asks "whats for breakfast?"....which is a normal question for someone his age..he looks a bit too young to be cooking...so why doesn't mom say "eggs and bacon" or "pancakes" and cook the kid something to eat? Or the dad?

Do people not make real breakfast for their kids anymore? Not that theres anything wrong with a bowl of cereal, so I agree that the parents should have been like "Here, have some Fiber One". Kid don't like it, kid would be hungry.
Beacause they want to sell boxes of tastless crap to the masses..cereal doesn't even taste good amymore...the "flavor" is replaced with so called fiber and othe unidentifiable garbage!Cry
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 4:24am
"Eat your mush!" (Great line from a very old movie)

As the "Make the lil' fat bastards eat healthy" anti-obesity children's crusade gains momentum, pretty sure this (less the wine or spirits) will eventually replace everything else on school breakfast menus:

"Fiber One - For when you want to turn Jack into a stinky fart machine!"
Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 5:18am
I just don't buy that a kid wouldn't eat something that they think tastes good just because they find out it's good for them. Yeah, maybe that would happen if it's something that's good for them that they just don't like the taste of...
Bennett View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:58pm

So, hypothetically speaking, what will McCauley Culkin ("Jack") do if the parents reveal the cereal is Fiber One?  I mean these parents seem scared out of their minds at the thought McCauley might find out.  Why are they so scared?  Will McCauley beat them?  Does he have a history of lighting fires or something?

Stupid commercial, I would've told McCauley its Fiber One and if he doesn't like it, well then tough sh*t.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

"Eat your mush!" (Great line from a very old movie)

Is this what you're thinking of?

Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:57pm
This discussion of bran cereal reminds me of one of my favorite Liz Lemon quotes- "She texts her gay friends while I write 'til four in the morning eating dry fistfuls of Raisin Bran to stay awake, which, by the way, is how I'm able to ride the fart train to work every day!"

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

It's an annoying commercial. But I doubt that having someone make me eat scrambled eggs will eventually make me like them. They smell nasty. Same with beets.
I hate the idea of being a short order cook for a ki,d but at the same time, I hated being forced to eat stuff like grits that tasted nasty and had a gross texture and no matter how much folks were trying to force me to eat them, I just didn't want to.
I say, make the kid make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if they don't like the food.
ITA.  I had a stepfather for several years who made me sit at the table until I cleaned my plate, and there's a laundry list of stuff I won't eat because of it.(#1 on the list is peas.  The smell alone literally makes me want to Dead.)
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:21am
Can't stand the little snarky tween Bieber-clone in this commercial. You'll eat your Twig & Dirt Cereal and you'll like it, you little sh*t!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic