Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you reply....?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you reply....?
    Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 6:54pm
To someone who says THIS?

Ads are a necessary evil. Without the ads, the network would not be broadcasting.

"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 7:02pm
Would that question be BEFORE PBS decided to allow commercials, or NOW?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Would that question be BEFORE PBS decided to allow commercials, or NOW?

Either/or, I guess.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 8:10pm
TV in the Soviet Union had no commercials.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 9:22pm
I would say, ads are what are driving people away from TV with their mindless reality shows.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I would say, ads are what are driving people away from TV with their mindless reality shows.

Good one.  Most TV isn't worthy paying for with crummy ads! 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:59pm
Well, unless you're willing to pay for each show you watch, you'll have to put up with commercials since they are the main source of revenue for both networks & local stations.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 1:14am
It isn't all commercials driving people away - only the ones with the poor lil' foreign-blabbering dumpapes holding empty cans and begging for your last dollar to help support some questionable United States of Americo foundation that may, or may not, toss 'em a grain o'rice (or a Rice Krispie grain), give 'em a glass of water and show 'em a picture of the lucky kids that get to go to school (don't they wish THEY were there?).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:32am
The problem isn't Commercials, its two things ABOUT Commercials.

1. The Sheer number of them. The Amount of time devoted to Commercials has more than DOUBLED in the last 15 years., From 10-12 Minutes per hour in 1996 to 20-28 Minutes per hour in 2006.

2. The Contents of those Commercials. Many Ads think that insulting you is the best way to sell their product, also many Advertisers show absolutly NO REGARD to WHO is in front of the TV set when ads for their "Adult Products" are aired, as they can be seen morning, noon and night. Even Childrens Shows aren't safe from these kinds of Ads!
Poiuyt Power!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:05am

Early on, wasn't cable TV's big selling point that there were not going to be any ads on it?  Guess the money from advertisers was too good to pass up....

ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 12:44pm
Once upon a time, I remember hypothesizing....if there was some way you could pay a monthly fee to have zero commercials in your programming, would you do it?  How high would you be willing to pay?

This was a long time ago, probably in the 80's when you couldn't get tv on dvd the next season, etc.  Today, I don't think such a notion would work, because of the explosion of the commercial industry.  Back then, I can remember clean, concise commercials.  It showed the product, maybe had a little jingle, showed people using the product and loving it, and that was it.  Now commercials seem to try and make themselves a 30 second comedy bit, with more exchange of dialogue and things not related to the product at ALL, forcing you to pay attention.  The amount you'd have to pay per month to avoid this would probably be more than your monthly cable bill.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:59pm
Ambrosia, go back a little further to the 50s and 60s, and you'd have seen commercials that were 1 or 2 minutes long.  Most of them were straightforward, with some spokesman standing there espousing the benefits of his product...and nothing else.  Long and boring, at least by today's standards.  Things got better by the mid- to late-60s, when the short attention span of the new youth market demanded that commercials be shorter and more clever.

Other than the retro kitsch factor of this commercial...imagine sitting through this one more than 3 or 4 times:

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Early on, wasn't cable TV's big selling point that there were not going to be any ads on it?

Sure was. And MTV showed real music videos, too.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

Once upon a time, I remember hypothesizing....if there was some way you could pay a monthly fee to have zero commercials in your programming, would you do it?  How high would you be willing to pay?

They've done it with radio. 
http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages-xm

With TV, I'd still want some commercials.  Like it used to be, at the top and bottom of the hour.
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:04pm
It's not so much the commercials themselves but the quantity of the damn things. It seems like the commercial breaks last longer than the pieces of the show you're watching that comes in between them. And I hate trying to watch a movie on a channel where it's interrupted every five minutes for ads. I rarely try anymore.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.
dutchman063 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutchman063 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Well, unless you're willing to pay for each show you watch, you'll have to put up with commercials since they are the main source of revenue for both networks & local stations.

I pay the satellite company a huge sum of money every month for every show i watch.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:38pm
Here's what I hate: The way a certain annoying ad repeats itself on a single channel more than 20x a day.  Peggy Kessler anyone?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 3:56pm
C'mon, everyone.  If there were no commercials, we wouldn't all be here laughing and crying and sharing our hopes and dreams and love with one another.

Kum-buy-a new Ford, kum-buy-a...

Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by dutchman063 dutchman063 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I pay the satellite company a huge sum of money every month for every show i watch.

Oh really?

What do you pay? About 60 bucks a month I'm guessing.

And the satellite provider probably carries about 150 - 200 channels.

That gives you the choice of literally thousands of shows per week.

Multiply that number by 4.3 weeks in an average month, then divide that number by the 60 bucks per month you pay & I'd venture to say that you pay less than a penny per show offered for viewing.

And besides, the satellite company has nothing to do with the content of what is broadcast.

They are just selling you the ability to recieve it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:35pm
Some shows I just give up watching mid-way through. Last night I was watching The Golden Girls on WE TV and holy hopping gumbo, the commercail breaks (at least 4) were close to 3 - 4 minutes EACH. They cut so much of the show, I forgot which epsiode I was watching. Flock that.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 10:51pm
LOL Thor: Kumbaya! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic