Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shows you thought you would hate, but didn't?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 4:57pm
In Plain Sight is a fave now but I didn't watch it from the beginning because Mary (main character)appeared to be one of those modern TV characters that is totally unlikeable.  She still is but I like many of the other characters, particularly Marshal Marshall (they are US Marshals).

BTW, I would have loved to watch Walking Dead because of the main character, the Sheriff, but I started watching first episode and when the ghouls ate his horse, I was done.  For those that may not know, the actor who plays the sheriff is British and this is his first big American Role.  Many women know him from the movie, Love Actually, where his storyline made him very popular.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

dulcefresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dulcefresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 4:58pm
All the forensic shows.... like csi and ncis.... greys anatomy and how i met ur mother
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 8:34pm
Bit off topic here, but I love Forensic Files.  Something about the narrator's shaky semi-whispering voice that adds intrigue for some reason. 

He thought he had gotten away with it, but.. there was one smaaall clue left behind... LOL
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 2:12pm
That ' 70s Show.
I have a hang-up with really self-conscious "Period" stories, whether they're comedies or dramas. The kind that try to remind you what decade it is every few minutes (literally). So that caused me to judge the show by its title. When I finally watched it, it definitely wasn't perfect, and it had several of my OTHER sitcom hang-ups, but it wasn't an overwrought kind of Period show EITHER.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

That ' 70s Show.
I have a hang-up with really self-conscious "Period" stories, whether they're comedies or dramas. The kind that try to remind you what decade it is every few minutes (literally). So that caused me to judge the show by its title. When I finally watched it, it definitely wasn't perfect, and it had several of my OTHER sitcom hang-ups, but it wasn't an overwrought kind of Period show EITHER.

Other than the clothes and the cars, this show could've been set in the 80s or 90s.  Maybe not so much in the 00s, as cell phones would've had to have a big role.

I'm with you on other period shows.  There're a few 60s or 70s-based family dramas that have everyone in the family doing absolutely everything stereotypical from those eras.  Divorce, women's lib, the Vietnam War, antiwar protest, drugs, abortion, homosexuality, Woodstock---all wrapped up in one family.

Wonder Years wasn't so bad in this regard, though, either.

flychinook View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flychinook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That ' 70s Show.

Other than the clothes and the cars, this show could've been set in the 80s or 90s.  Maybe not so much in the 00s, as cell phones would've had to have a big role.

I'm with you on other period shows.  There're a few 60s or 70s-based family dramas that have everyone in the family doing absolutely everything stereotypical from those eras.  Divorce, women's lib, the Vietnam War, antiwar protest, drugs, abortion, homosexuality, Woodstock---all wrapped up in one family.

Wonder Years wasn't so bad in this regard, though, either.

Sounds like "That 80's Show", a not-quite spinoff that lasted 13 episodes or so. It was pretty much a half-hour stream of 80's references. Punk hair, huge cellphones, etc. Search for it on YouTube if you want to re-live the pain.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by flychinook flychinook wrote:

Sounds like "That 80's Show", a not-quite spinoff that lasted 13 episodes or so. It was pretty much a half-hour stream of 80's references. Punk hair, huge cellphones, etc. Search for it on YouTube if you want to re-live the pain.

Yeah, there's got to be more to a show than that sort of thing.  If I want a trip down memory lane, I can watch VH1's I Love the 70s/80s/90s/00s.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:06am

The Walking Dead on AMC.  I didn't think I would hate it when I turned to it one rainy Saturday a few weeks ago, but I didn't think I'd become hooked on it---within minutes---and end up watching it for 8 hours straight on Saturday, and another 8 hours straight the next day. 

Whatever flaws that show has, the whole energy and spirit behind it keeps me. Plus I like the whole "People living amidst a zombie outbreak" and not the "Zombies eating humans" premise.
Makes it more real and frightening to me, otherwise zombie genre takes on a cartoonish or fantasy aspect for me. What gets me is the terror that awaits them.
I read the graphic novels so I have an "in" on some story arcs but already they have altered some of those moments and killed and kept different people. But the core of the story is there and the hopelessness is right there. Oh and as of last night.. Damn!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

The Walking Dead on AMC.  I didn't think I would hate it when I turned to it one rainy Saturday a few weeks ago, but I didn't think I'd become hooked on it---within minutes---and end up watching it for 8 hours straight on Saturday, and another 8 hours straight the next day. 

Whatever flaws that show has, the whole energy and spirit behind it keeps me. Plus I like the whole "People living amidst a zombie outbreak" and not the "Zombies eating humans" premise.
Makes it more real and frightening to me, otherwise zombie genre takes on a cartoonish or fantasy aspect for me. What gets me is the terror that awaits them.
I read the graphic novels so I have an "in" on some story arcs but already they have altered some of those moments and killed and kept different people. But the core of the story is there and the hopelessness is right there. Oh and as of last night.. Damn!

Yes.  I was just telling a friend the same thing.  It's not constant zombies eating humans.  If it was, it would've worn out its welcome a long time ago.  But when they do show zombies eating humans, it's damned good.

And yes---Sunday night!  I recently found out that another friend and his wife are into this show, and had to call him right after Sunday's episode 'cause I just couldn't believe that Rick killed Shane.  Well, Shane was going off the deep end, anyway.  And besides, Rick simply adopted some of Shane's own "every man for himself" attitude.

And that wasn't even the season finale.

Oh.  I'm also wondering about the way one becomes a zombie.  It used to be that someone had to be at least bitten or scratched, but now it seems that all it requires is that one dies.  Shane was shot, and immediately rose from the dead.  Any idea?

john koenig View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Actually, I've shockingly been moderately impressed with ABC's whole line-up.

I never watched any of that stuff, but we've recently set our television to automatically turn on Wheel Of Fortune during the week, and I ended up watching Suburgatory, The Middle, and even Modern Family afterwards, first only as background noise, then actually enjoying them.

I don't enjoy Modern Family immensely, though. It's an Okay show, and I've been switching off more and more. The other two shows I really enjoy, though.

ABC really blew it when the cancelled Flash Forward while keeping the awful remake of V.
They followed those "brilliant" moves by running two of the biggest bombs in recent TV history...Pan Am and the Charlie's Angels remake.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:49am

That ' 70s Show.

Worse is when period shows break the rules by allowing their casts to wear modern hairstyles and speak in current slang. Two prime examples  were MASH and Happy Days.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by john koenig john koenig wrote:

That ' 70s Show.

Worse is when period shows break the rules by allowing their casts to wear modern hairstyles and speak in current slang. Two prime examples  were MASH and Happy Days.

Yeah, like Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days.  Girls did not look or perform like that in 1962.

On the other hand, there're the shows and TV commercials that try way too hard to look "of the era", and end up looking like parodies of the era.  Every young white guy in the 70s had an afro perm, wore leisure suits, and went to discos??  Hardly.  Certainly not me or my friends. 

I thought the movie Dazed and Confused got it right.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:30pm

Originally posted by john koenig john koenig wrote:

That ' 70s Show.

Yeah, like Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days.  Girls did not look or perform like that in 1962.

On the other hand, there're the shows and TV commercials that try way too hard to look "of the era", and end up looking like parodies of the era.  Every young white guy in the 70s had an afro perm, wore leisure suits, and went to discos??  Hardly.  Certainly not me or my friends. 

I thought the movie Dazed and Confused got it right.

Wow, that clip was painful to watch. And you're right, her hair is the latest fashion...in 1978.
hsolo1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
Music, you do realise that operation:repo is totally scripted.  and that walking freak show Sonya, what is up with her?
Don't give it a second thought! If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you will the second time.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:41am
"30 Rock"...I thought it was trying too hard at first, then realized that that was what makes the show so funny. It's more like a spoof of how pretentious and phony the industry really is.

What's even more interesting is how I watched "Studio 60" every week, before I realized that it was just too much TV insider talk (and I work in TV). I remember wondering whether any of the characters had lives outside of their TV show, and stopped caring about them not too long after that. Working in TV sounds intriguing at first, but after awhile, it's just another job in another industry. A TV show about TV shows needs some personality from the characters.

I thought Jimmy Fallon's talk show was terrible at first, but he's really gotten much better. He was just stiff and uncomfortable at first, but now he's settled into the role.

I agree about "Hot in Cleveland". Don't tell no one, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Betty White overexposure. I know she's 90 and she's only trying to milk it for all its worth, but I think TV could use a break from her.

The TV Land sitcoms try a little too hard at times too. They all seem like cheesy 80s sitcoms that would've been canceled after 13 episodes and become obscure memories.
The poster formerly known as producer757
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Thor<div>Yes.  I was just telling a friend the same thing.  It's not constant zombies eating humans.  If it was, it would've worn out its welcome a long time ago.  But when they do show zombies eating humans, it's damned good.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And yes---Sunday night!  I recently found out that another friend and his wife are into this show, and had to call him right after Sunday's episode 'cause I just couldn't believe that Rick killed Shane.  Well, Shane was going off the deep end, anyway.  And besides, Rick simply adopted some of Shane's own every man for himself attitude.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And that wasn't even the season finale.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Oh.  I'm also wondering about the way one becomes a zombie.  It used to be that someone had to be at least bitten or scratched, but now it seems that all it requires is that one dies.  Shane was shot, and immediately rose from the dead.  Any idea?</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>[/QUOTE Thor
Yes.  I was just telling a friend the same thing.  It's not constant zombies eating humans.  If it was, it would've worn out its welcome a long time ago.  But when they do show zombies eating humans, it's damned good.

And yes---Sunday night!  I recently found out that another friend and his wife are into this show, and had to call him right after Sunday's episode 'cause I just couldn't believe that Rick killed Shane.  Well, Shane was going off the deep end, anyway.  And besides, Rick simply adopted some of Shane's own every man for himself attitude.

And that wasn't even the season finale.

Oh.  I'm also wondering about the way one becomes a zombie.  It used to be that someone had to be at least bitten or scratched, but now it seems that all it requires is that one dies.  Shane was shot, and immediately rose from the dead.  Any idea?

[/QUOTE wrote:

Well I am assuming some of the questions have since been answered. I can say this. When Michonne showed up with her katana and chained pets, I yelped and threw my hand out. My wife mocked me a little but hey.. I was anticipating it but still, the reveal was great. Oh and Rick's shift was key, and Hershel's blessed eternal shells of faith were awesome, and Jenner's revelation to Rick and him keeping it.. yeah. Good show. Now I wait. Ah well, Game of Thrones starts in a week or so

Well I am assuming some of the questions have since been answered. I can say this. When Michonne showed up with her katana and chained pets, I yelped and threw my hand out. My wife mocked me a little but hey.. I was anticipating it but still, the reveal was great. Oh and Rick's shift was key, and Hershel's blessed eternal shells of faith were awesome, and Jenner's revelation to Rick and him keeping it.. yeah. Good show. Now I wait. Ah well, Game of Thrones starts in a week or so

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:32pm
Is that that thing's name?  Yeah, that was freaky.  I thought "What the hell?!"  I was thinking maybe it was Merle, Darryl's bro, what with the fact that its captives were black.

I'm interested in the "ground zero" for the next season.  I'm guessing that building they showed at the end was a prison.  If so, that could be great.  It got me wondering about the timeline for the show, and if it could be possible that prisoners might still be alive behind bars in the prison.

OK...I just checked.  It's been 81 days since the outbreak.  So, there's little chance that prisoners would still be alive (trapped, but safe) behind bars.  Of course, there could be people still alive in there. 

I just wish I didn't have to wait till the fall for the next episode.  I'm hoping AMC airs the offshoot "Torn Apart" in the interim.  It's viewable on the internet, but I don't wanna watch TV on my computer.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
I've never thought I'd hate a show that I didn't, in fact, hate.

Network TV, by & large, sucks.

100% of the shows, 100% of the time.

The only decent programming on TV anymore is on PBS.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've never thought I'd hate a show that I didn't, in fact, hate.

Network TV, by & large, sucks.

100% of the shows, 100% of the time.

The only decent programming on TV anymore is on PBS.

Until an entire MONTH of primetime pledge garbage programming, like we're enduring now. I wonder if they realize  they do more harm than good with that strategy in some markets?
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:30pm

Oh my God, you are so right! The last 2 weeks have been really crappy!  I work evenings, and already DVR some shows on other channels, so during "festival" time (pledge), I don't get to see the rebroadcasts of Newshour, Charlie Rose, BBC World News, nor the Mystery series, on and on.  And full disclosure, I do donate a small amount.  And something else that makes no sense is that NPR is having its fund drive the exact same time as PBS.  I don't think that makes sense.  A lot of PBS viewers are NPR listeners so why hit them up at the same time?  Ermm

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:28am
As annoying as they are, I hafta cut PBS some slack on the fundraising.

It's not like they can get around it, especially with a conservative House of Reps slashing their funding & threatening to end it all together.

Besides, they only do them during "slack" programming times like right now when they play a lot of those old 60's musical acts in concert, which hardly anyone watches anyway.

When the good programming comes on, they don't interrupt.

BTW.... keep your eyes peeled during April & May.

Couple of good months coming up.

A good new production of Dickens' "Great Expectations"....

....as well as a lesser known, unfinished Dickens work, then new 4 episodes of the modern day Sherlock Holmes series ...

Should be awesome!!!! Thumbs Up

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 5:45pm
I know, Jimbo, we are still lucky to have PBS the way its going with movement by Repubs to get their Federal funding taken away--I still just have to complain because I enjoy so much of what they air on PBS that I really miss when I can't see it.

I am a big fan of Masterpiece Mystery and Contemporary so I am very glad to see the Sherlock Holmes, love Martin Freeman's character.

You know, though I don't hate it, I have tried several times to get into Downton Abbey, and it is just "eh," to me.  I really, really wanted to like it, I'm an anglophile, I love period pieces, I love Hugh Bonneville, it is just flat, boring to me.  Who'd a thunk it!Ermm
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 6:57pm
Keeping Up With the Kardashians

Thought I'd hate it, then after watching a few minutes of it out of curiosity, I realized that I didn't .... "Hate" isn't nearly a strong enough word.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 7:52pm
"Southland"
I really disliked it until about 3 or 4 episodes ago...then it got really good and the season ended.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:55pm

I thought I'd hate Memphis Beat then starting watching and loved it--about 4 episodes before it was cancelled Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic