Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sonic Commercial With Vampire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redvelvetrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonic Commercial With Vampire
    Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:21pm

Something about this commercial is just so off-putting.  I know they are using a fictional creature in it and all, but it's like they're saying "Prejudice is fine so long as you eat our burgers!"

Um... what?

And what moron doesn't know it's GARLIC, anyway?

Rose
Sponsored Links

JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:54am
I'm just confused about the fact that she hates vampires...she doesn't know he IS one? 
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:01am
Not another ad with eating noises!  When will ad execs learn that people talking with their mouth full (watch her chew in-between words) is VERY unbecoming and annoying.  Ugh. Disapprove
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:18am
Their burgers are good though.
Tech View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

I'm just confused about the fact that she hates vampires...she doesn't know he IS one? 

That's the joke.
ProudHeart86 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudHeart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:24pm
I can't stand this commercial.  That know-it-all b*tch...I just can't stand her.  She must have been living under a rock if she thinks onions repel vampires.  Seriously, even if it's supposed to be part of the joke that she's clueless about vampires...it's not in the least bit amusing to me.  It just proves she's a complete idiot. 
Plus..God, is this vampire from Twilight?!  He's so WEAK!  If I was him, I wouldn't sit there crying...I'd freaking bite that b*tch!! 
sonkab View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonkab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:41am
I really hope Stephanie Meyer looks like that someday.  After the bypass, of course.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:41am
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

Not another ad with eating noises!  When will ad execs learn that people talking with their mouth full (watch her chew in-between words) is VERY unbecoming and annoying.  Ugh. Disapprove

Noisy eaters need a copy of Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior shoved into their pie hole....  LOL
scremped View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scremped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:02pm
Yeah, not the best ad, but as long as it's not those two "comedians" in the car mumbling about nothing like in all the other Sonic ads I am cool with it.
ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:18pm
I know I've said this before but Sonic commercials drive me insane.  Probably because the closest Sonic is about an 8 hour drive away from me (and until about a year ago more like a 16 hour drive!)  I mean it's not a ubiquitous chain like McDonald's or Burger King why don't they just advertise to the markets they're in?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:09pm
Because they want to be in your market.
purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Because they want to be in your market.

Valid statement, but it still made me laugh because I took it as being perverted. LOL
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
Hollywoodbadguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywoodbadguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:30am

HI Everyone

im Frankie Ray the Actor that plays Phil The vampire in the Sonic commercial.
First off. ive played Strong Vampires ie Blade One of the Vampires In the House of Aramas.

Second  This Vampire was supposto be wimpy  that is what makes if funny Over 16,000 people think its funny what is wrong with you all.

Third the woman was supposto be a bitch thats the point.

what i wonder is how many of you have ever done the Following?
1. write a commercial that gets nationaly ran.
2. produced or Directed one
3. Been an Actor. ie we do as Directed.
4 done anything other than bash other peoples work.

Look inside your heart and ask yourself.
What have you done in the world.

Im not Hating Just Asking.
everyone on the net thinks its funny.

Does that not make you stop and wonder about yourselvs? It Should.

here it is again. i have maby 10 more national commercials on the page. please feel free to rip them apart. i wont take it off the page.
But i also invite you to look at them for what they are.

30 seconds that is designed to get you to remember the product. and talk about it.
OH by the way this commercial Sonic vampire  hit #1 on you tube for funny commercial of the week.

THere is an altoids Half Man Half Woman commercial on there.
im sure youll find it discusting. Lol

Frankie Ray your Phil vampire.
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:24pm
You seem pretty defensive Phil. Your accomplishments are great, but all that matters is if you're happy with what you've done. You can't please everyone. What do you expect from a website called "Commercials I Hate"? There is nothing wrong with the fact that we don't like the commercial. Look inside your heart. There are probably some commercials you find annoying too. 
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:34pm
Well Frankie, you need to learn how to spell first off. I can't take you seriously when you make simple mistakes, or is that part of your acting?

There's a difference between not getting the ad, and just hating it. We've already established we "get" it. We're aware the woman is supposed to be a bitch, we're aware the vampire is supposed to be a wimp. I don't think this commercial is that deep, those are observations that are easy for anyone to note. We just hate it. It's pointless. This is an ad that is supposed to be apparently marketing a new onion burger, yet only 10 seconds has ANYTHING to do with the burger. The rest of it is this woman hating on vampires. WTF does that have to do with an onion burger? Yes, I know, I'm in marketing. It's all the rage these days to use humor and outrageous stories to get customers in. It doesn't work for everyone. Apparently you have to be a stupid bitch to like onion burgers. Sorry, I don't relate.

Also you say the entire net likes this ad. You know you're only looking at youtube comments, right? You know youtube comments are mostly posted by those under the age of 18, right? You know they find EVERYTHING funny, right? They made Fred popular....FRED. Point is, you'll almost always find positive comments on youtube commercials for 2 reasons:
The user who uploaded the video is usually the company, and they do in fact screen comments and rarely post anything negative.
The people posting positive "LOL this iz soooo funny" are 15 year olds who aren't buying the product anyway!

Get real vampire man. No one here is hating on you. I'm sure you're a wonderful actor. Every actor has a piece of crap in his portfolio, and I'm sorry, but this is yours. You can do better then playing a wimpy vampire.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Well Frankie, you need to learn how to spell first off. I can't take you seriously when you make simple mistakes, or is that part of your acting?

There's a difference between not getting the ad, and just hating it. We've already established we "get" it. We're aware the woman is supposed to be a bitch, we're aware the vampire is supposed to be a wimp. I don't think this commercial is that deep, those are observations that are easy for anyone to note. We just hate it. It's pointless. This is an ad that is supposed to be apparently marketing a new onion burger, yet only 10 seconds has ANYTHING to do with the burger. The rest of it is this woman hating on vampires. WTF does that have to do with an onion burger? Yes, I know, I'm in marketing. It's all the rage these days to use humor and outrageous stories to get customers in. It doesn't work for everyone. Apparently you have to be a stupid bitch to like onion burgers. Sorry, I don't relate.

Also you say the entire net likes this ad. You know you're only looking at youtube comments, right? You know youtube comments are mostly posted by those under the age of 18, right? You know they find EVERYTHING funny, right? They made Fred popular....FRED. Point is, you'll almost always find positive comments on youtube commercials for 2 reasons:
The user who uploaded the video is usually the company, and they do in fact screen comments and rarely post anything negative.
The people posting positive "LOL this iz soooo funny" are 15 year olds who aren't buying the product anyway!

Get real vampire man. No one here is hating on you. I'm sure you're a wonderful actor. Every actor has a piece of crap in his portfolio, and I'm sorry, but this is yours. You can do better then playing a wimpy vampire.

Well said Clap
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywoodbadguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:47am

To the Sonic Burger vampire Responses.

Hay Thank you For Taking time out of your day to respond. I really do appreciate it.
You are correct i cannot spell for Chit "See" lol i didn't realize this venue has a spell check. since i updated my yahoo mail i cannot seem to find the spell check area. but i noticed the Abc in the upper left corner. I'm working on my spelling being a voice over guy and DJ/emcee announcer i have spent years spelling copy phonetically for pronunciation. its a bad habit and as i said your Rite. Spelling is Very important.

Thank you for your compliments. i have worked very hard to become a good actor. As I'm sure your aware it is difficult in the current state of advertising ,TV, as well as film to find Directors that allow what we all call good acting.

as per the marketing Reply i feel and experience your pain. We have to try to function in it daily. and well as you said it can be challenging to say the least.
I'm not defensive. i did not want to come off that way. allot of times we as actors as I'm sure you in marketing understand. as would you sir as a drummer."IE I'm a Musician as well most times we have to just sit in the background and do the job we were hired for.  hold down the bottom. market the spot the writers/ad agency stuck us with.
with that being said. i was attracted to this character in particular because there not The type of character i normally get to play. one that is hurt and or has some sympathetic quality's. there usually killers,freaks, homeless,hobo or crack head types, that have absolutely no redeeming qualities.

So for me it was a chance to show a range i haven't been allowed to Show.
I'm primarily a film actor and personally find commercials very frustrating in as much as its the only area where the actor is not part of the creative process and really has zero input.

i get that you just don't like the commercial. and respect that.
may i ask the person in marketing. do you see the trend changing? i Do not. it seams to degrade more and more. I was fortunate last year to do a Volkswagen commercial called "tow truck Driver that was the old style of marketing.  and had to do with the product and the feeling that was being created.  those are nice. This Spot was directed by the Perlorian bros and there spots are usually very creative and interesting.

Just so you know the demographic for the sonic commercial on the stats were between 35 and 50 years old. Most all the people watching and liking it were in that range.
but i agree you tube is a youth driven medium.
Any way i thank you for your comments  and if you have something that you feel is more in line with my skill set I would be ever gratefully to you for pointing me in that direction.
In this economy we all Want to Work. Getting these spots are like pulling teeth now a days. Where your up agenst most times 1000 or more other actors.
We all want to do Work that is worthy of being called art,creative,challenging,and inspiring.
Sometimes we just need to work.
 I just like to understand why people dislike something and or like something. its feedback i try to use in my work.

Thanks Again Frankie Ray   your Hollywoodbadguy1
God i hope i spell checked this  :) be well and prosper.
i hope you Find something in my body of work that you find interesting and worthy :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywoodbadguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:08am
Just to add. you are going to have a fitt with the rest of the campaign lol the wolf man just dropped and there are 3 more coming at ya. Get your adjectives ready. LOL i really am a good spirited guy.  and there are some commercials i just don't get That annoy  me.  The new geico spots  are funny in there intent but  well ya know.
any way  lets all get together and make a Kick ass commercial  I have a Hd 1080 p camera.
hell with the Internet we could write it,cast it,shoot it create the music and edit it all in our separate city's and never have to leave home.
Have any of you seen how many people IE ad exec's  agency etc it takes to make a commercial?
its mind blowing to me the amount of people that must be present and give there OK. most times 10-20  It's got to be hard to get agreement with that many cooks
always your Hollywoodbadguy1 Frankie Ray Hug

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:44pm
I don't see the trend changing, so much as a new category of advertising techniques is being born. There are different types of ads and marketing techniques, and this new category I dub "absurd humor" seems to be the newest. Based on the principle that enough exposures (times someone views an ad) over enough people = a desired outcome. In the case of absurd humor, it seems the outcome is usually supposed to be brand recognition instead of brand image or brand loyalty. They're just trying to make Sonic stick in people's minds, and I guess this onion burger too.

The problem with ads like this is, it's about as accurate as those "call within the next 10 minutes" type ads. A large enough portion of the viewing area is not going to fall for it, but they KNOW that. They're going for the 1% who do, and that's all. The rest of us still have to suffer through it. While we here have seen the ad and now associate it with Sonic, none of us are going to eat at Sonic because of it. I'm sure there's a small slice of the viewing area that will see this onion burger and now go out and try it. BUT those people would have tried it even if you just put a Sonic logo with a whole onion and the burger all in one frame for 30 seconds. Oh there's an onion burger at Sonic, I'm into onions so I'm going to eat it!

Advertising is a cruel world, and everyone THINKS they have it right or know what's best. Everyone thinks there's a science to it. There's not. All the market research in the world can point to one outcome, and real life results will come to the complete opposite. Therefor these absurd humor ads will continue to exist so long as some advertising exec at the top thinks they're effective. Like I said, put your ad up against a silent ad with a big Sonic logo, a whole onion, and the steamy onion burger, maybe some text overlay that says new "Sonic onion burger, it's got onions" and show me the results that says which one is more effective and why.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywoodbadguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 7:55pm

For the most part i would tend to agree with you.

The decline of human intelligence.
Frankie Ray always your Hollywood bad guy 1
AngelaQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelaQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 5:20pm
You people are amazingly like the woman in the commercial lol!  The vampire is not necessarily a wimp as such ... he's just letting her think she's right!  He is, after all, a vampire, and he's sitting right next to her as she lectures him on onions vs. garlic.  She's funny because she thinks she knows everything (like some on this forum), and is so wrong.  When he looks at the camera at the end, it's like, "what are ya gonna do?" - you can't make her realize she's wrong because she's too stupid to listen!  That's the fun of it!

Frankie Ray aka Phil - I love this commercial.  You totally nail your part and make me laugh every single time! 

(For the ones who wonder what I'm doing here if I don't hate the commercial - I was searching for the commercial on the internet to send it to a friend, and this link came up.)
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 11:19pm
I get a chuckle out of this one.  Every one in the world knows that it's garlic not onion that bothers vampires, yet this dopey woman is so insistent that it's onions.  Even though he IS a vampire and would know better.
I know so many people like her.  LOL

Edit:  I guess this is what happens when you post stuff without reading previous comments.  Ideas get repeated.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 3:13am
Originally posted by AngelaQ AngelaQ wrote:

You people are amazingly like the woman in the commercial lol!
....She's funny because she thinks she knows everything (like some on this forum)

Wow, you can post about the ad but you don't need to bash people on the forum...
AngelaQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelaQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 3:33am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Wow, you can post about the ad but you don't need to bash people on the forum...

You're right - sorry.  I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything - I was just laughing that it seemed so many didn't get it.  :)
ProudHeart86 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudHeart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 4:31am
The thing is, I know it's "supposed" to be part of the joke, that the woman is so unpleasantly b*tchy to the vampire, but I don't find it funny in the least.  I find her completely annoying, more annoying than that whipped vampire.  They've just failed with this commercial, at least with me.  I get physically angry when I see that woman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic